NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Milk Plastic
Name:  N Alexander C.

Question:
Hi Recently I warmed up some milk in a saucer and then poured some vinegar in it. I filtered the fat out of it and shaped it into a ball. I let it sit for a couple of days and it turned into plastic.

Will you explain what reaction took place and why?

N Alexander,

You precipitated the casein (a protein) out of the milk by effect of the acid (vinegar) and heat. Acids denature and coagulate proteins. The plastic-like substance you obtained was very likely rather sticky. In fact, in bygone days, a reaction such as you describe was a common and a popular means to produce an early form of glue -- now supplanted by good old Elmer's carpenter glue which is very different in composition and far superior to casein glue.

ProfHoff