NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Freezing Alcohol and Water
Name: Sue C.

Question:
I know that when ice begins to freeze (at 0 degrees C)dissolved ions move out so the ice is purer than the water that forms it, yet, I understand that alcohols are not forced out, and alcohol will prevent the water from freezing. How is this possible?

Sue,

Freely soluble alcohols form hydrogen bonds with the water. Thus, they are difficult to completely exclude from the ice lattice. Their presence interferes with the structure of the lattice and thereby affects (depresses) the water's freezing point.

ProfHoff