NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Silver Nitrate Remover
Name: James M.

Question:
What is used to remove silver nitrate from clothes? I am, in fact not looking for the formula of silver nitrate, but was wondering if you could tell me the formula of the removal agent.

James,

You have a problem that wwill not be easily solved. Silver nitrate is freely soluble in water. Alas, the stain left by silver nitrate in your clothes is not silver nitrate -- it is silver metal. There is no common cleaning agent that will remove the silver if it has soaked into the fibers. Of course, it will dissolve in nitric acid. However, I think you can appreciate the folly of that approach. I think you will have to live with the stain and be more careful in the future to not get silver nitrate on your skin or clothes.

ProfHoff