NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Sodium Thiosulphate
Name:   Brianna
Age:   18

Question:
Hello, My friends and I are doing a chemical assignment on the analysis of household bleach. To do this, we firstly need to know how to standardize sodium thiosulphate. Can you please enlighten us. It would be much appreciated.

You can find, probably several, methods for standardizing sodium thiosulfate solutions in any introductory text on analytical chemistry. You can also probably find methods posted on the Web. The procedure most frequently used is based on an iodine standard. Reagent grade iodine, available from any chemical supplier, e.g. Sigma Aldrich, is very pure so it can be used as a primary standard. It's really an easy method. The following is a description so you should look it up in an analytical text for details.

Add an accurately weighed amount of iodine to a solution of excess potassium iodide. Stir until the iodine is completely dissolved. The solution is highly colored due to the formation of the monovalent anion (I)3. Titrate the tri-iodide solution until it is colorless.