NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Bleach Neutralizer
Name: Alex

Question:
What will stop Bleach meaning what will neutralize bleach?

Bleach is a 3-5% solution of sodium hypochlorite [NaOCl]. It is rapidly reduced by reducing agents. One reducing agent that is fast,effective, available, and cheap is sodium sulfite [Na2SO3] -- not sulfate [Na2SO4]. It is available from any swimming pool chemicals retailer. It will be called something like "knock down", "de-chlor" or similar trade name. It is used to reduce the level of chlorination in swimming pools. I use it myself to de-chlorinate my bathing suit after swimming.

Sodium thiosulfate [Na2S2O3] will also work. It is used in developing photographic film and prints. Its common name is "Fixer". It is available in any photographic supply store, but is likely to be more expensive than sodium sulfite.

In principle, ascorbic acid [vitamin C tablets] should also work. It is a reducing agent, but I haven't tried it myself to neutralize bleach. I have used it to "bleach out" certain stains in clothing, because some dyes, when reduced, become colorless. It works very well on certain stains.

V. Calder