NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Melting Plastics
Name: omry

Question:
hi,i would like to know if there is a risk in melting plastic material( in order to make models from the plastic ), by heating it in a pot, not by burning it (such as - dangerous gas ). also, it would be great if you can give me another way for shaping plastic materials.

Yes, there is a possible hazard. Heating some plastics will cause them to degas residual solvent, and heating others will cause them to decompose or degrade into what could be toxic or hazardous gases.

I'm afraid that I can't advise you on other methods to try. You need to use the method that is recommended by the manufacturer of the plastic you are working with. It should be easy to get these recommendations from the manufacturer, as well as the MSDS (materials safety data sheet) on the plastic. They are required to give you an MSDS on request by federal law.

best regards,
prof. topper