NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Colored Leaves and Evolution

Name: Lily
Grade: 12+
Country: China

Question:
Why do some plants have leaves with purple underside? Does this feature bring any evolutionary advantage?

The purple color is related to anthocyanin pigments in the leaf, particularly of shade-plants; however, the actual advantages/benefits seem to remain unclear:

Sincerely, Anthony Brach Anthony R. Brach, Ph.D., Harvard University Herbaria, 22 Divinity Ave., Cambridge, MA 02138

Hi Lily,

Thanks for the questions. The purple underside of a plant may be due to white light shining through the top of the leaf. Some components of the white light may be absorbed so as to leave the purple color--and this is what you see. I am not sure of an evolutionary advantage other than the fact that the plan uses the light that is most abundant.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have more questions. Thanks Jeff