NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Blackberries Sickness
Name: D E
Grade: N/A

Question:
I have been in Washington state and noticed the large amount of wild blackberry bushes. Someonetold me that Black berries harvested in late October will make a person sick. That doesn't seem right. Is there a proper time to pick these wild berries?

The following might be helpful:

http://fruitsandnuts.ucdavis.edu/crops.html

Raspberries and blackberries generally have two crops per year. The second crop is often late and subject to warm days and cold nights, and sometimes molding during a rainy autumn. Thus, the first crop is the preferred one (around July/August) and the second is usually not as good but I personally haven't heard about anyone getting sick from blackberries at any time of the year, although excessive amounts of any food could cause sickness, and should watch out for mold on berries.

Sincerely,

Anthony R. Brach, Ph.D.