NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne American Elm Status
Name: clark
Grade: N/A

Question:
Recently I have found several clusters of wild American Elms in western Massachusetts. How rare is this find and is there anyone in the region who may be interested in the location of these trees

American Elm stands can be found all over the central and eastern US. In my neighborhood alone we have over 30 100+ year old specimens. The reason they are here is because the neighbor treated the elms with injections periodically for about 30 years; both professionally and as a block project. We have lost a few, but the majority are still thriving. Morton Arboretum in Lisle Illinois has been studying Elms for about 50 years and have some very valuable information. Look for them on the web.

http://www.elmpost.org/

http://www.mortonarb.org/research/treebreeding_elms.htm

Tony,

American Elm is not rare in New England. Really large trees are rather uncommon due to the Dutch Elm Disease. I don't know of anyone looking for American Elm large or small.

Interesting since it is the state tree. I'll forward this to Ray Angelo at the New England Botanical Club who might be interested or may know someone who might be interested.

Sincerely,

Anthony R. Brach, Ph.D.