NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Huckleberry
Name: sheri
Grade: N/A

Question:
I am trying to find a picture and every bit of information I can on the huckleberry for a group of students that I correspond with in Japan. Can you help?

What they want to know is: what do they look like---how and where do they grow and what do you do with them?

http://www.wvu.edu/~agexten/wildlife/ntvplts/hcklber.htm

Anthony R. Brach, Ph.D.

Dear Sheri-

I believe that "huckleberry" is another name for "blueberry"... Or, maybe huckleberry is the wild variety of blueberry. I used to pick them in the fields and woods in the Missouri Ozarks. They are a small round berry, about the size of a pea. They are dark blue in color, and grow in clusters on low bushes. They have a sweet tangy taste, like a blueberry. They are excellent in breakfast cereals, muffins, and, if you pick enough of them, they make wonderful pies and cobblers..!

You might see what you can find out about the fruit blueberry, and see if they might also be called huckleberrys.

Dale Bechtold