NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Walnut Trees Secretions
Name: Unknown
Location: OH

Question:
I was reading the statment that black walnut trees omit a poison that kills around the tree. My question is why do you think this is so.....I have many black walnut trees on my property, I have planted beautiful flower beds around them and they are growing just fine, not dying. I also have a huge one next to the vegtable garden and it does not kill anything in it at least for the last 20 years I have planted it.

Black walnut trees do produce juglone that is poisonous to many species of plants, but obviously, the flowers you've planted are resilient.

Also possibly helpful re. plants that are susceptible vs. tolerant of juglone in the soil:

http://www.extension.umn.edu/projects/yardandgarden/ygbriefs/
h407blkwal-tox.html

Anthony Brach Ph.D.