NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Planting Apple Trees
Name: James W

Question:
On a recent hike to an 1850's gold rush town in the California we came across an old orchard that still had fruit bearing trees. I got an apple that was too high for the bears to reach, it had a good but tart taste. I would love to try to save this line of apple, but frankly, I have no knowledge of how to grow an apple tree. Can you give me some suggestions on what to do with the seeds, ie, How to plant them, what temp to keep them at during the upcomming winter, do they like to be moist, what kind of soil do they like etc, etc. There was also a fruit bearing pear tree that was at the site. In repayment for your advice I would be happy to lead you to this very remote site of a rich mine and a town of 3000 people that lasted 22years and is completely gone but for the orchard.

The following should be helpful:

http://www.pollinator.com/appleseeds_faq.htm

Anthony Brach Ph.D.