NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Flower and pH
Name: James

Question:
I wanted to know the affects of PH levels in water that might affect flowers. Can a flower live longer if I have the means to control the PH levels in my water?

If the water is slightly acidic, then cut flowers placed in it should stay fresh longer, because the pH might be more closely like that of the cell sap within the stem.

http://www.extension.umn.edu/distribution/horticulture/DG7355.html

Anthony Brach Ph.D.