NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Elm Tree Burls
Name: Bette C.

Question:
My Father has a large elm tree with many green foliage burls all over it, branches and all. What causes this and will they hurt the tree? I believe the tree to be about 80 years old and it is quite beautiful and appears to be very healthy.

It is probably fine. The following might be helpful for things to watch for.

http://www.na.fs.fed.us/spfo/pubs/howtos/ht_ded/ht_ded.htm

Anthony Brach, Ph.D