NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Plant Vacuole
Name: Carl

Question:
Why is it that plant cells have a very large central vacuole as opposed to animal cells who's vacuoles are quite small? I know that a plant cell's vacuole is used for storage, but it doesn't occur to me why the vacuoles take up to 95% of the space in a plant cell.

This page indicates vacuole size is larger in plants for cellular expansion and morphological differences:

http://dbbs.wustl.edu/rib/Nielsen.html

Anthony R. Brach