NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Xantophyll
Name: Kristoffer L.

Question:
As a project at school we were to separate the four main photosynthetic pigments chlorophyll a and b, carotene and xantophyll and then investigate the absorption of light of these four pigments in the visible region of light. We were then to compare our absorption spectra with the "correct" ones. I had no problem in finding spectra for chlorophyll a, b and carotene. However, I could not find one for xantophyll. Do you have one or do you know somewhere that I can look for it?

Try doing a google image search using the key words, "xanthophyll absorption spectra", and you should find what you are looking for.

Unknown