NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Plants for Sewage Treatment
Name: Karen Anne K.

Question:
I have heard of treatment systems for home waste water/sewage that involve plantings of rushes, reeds, etc. in a pond resulting in natural filtration and purification of the water. I am interested in this for my home when the cesspool is replaced. I have not been able to find any info on the web or in books about it, such as an overview of the system principals, components, how much room is required, etc. Any pointers to info you could email me would be much appreciated. Thanks.

You might want to search for the term "phytoremediation" in the library and on-line using www.google.com or a helpful search engine.

Anthony R. Brach, Ph.D.