NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Grass and Chlorophyll
Name: Belita T.

Question:
How can I make the chlorophyll in grass lighten up so the grass will change from green to yellow or orange?

Belita,

An interesting question....designer lawns :)

I do not have specific data available, so you might want to research this a bit further.

The color change we see in leaves occurs due to partial resorption of chlorophyll with the arrival of cold and short days in the fall. With the chlorophyll gone, the other pigments present in the leaves become visible.

My lawn typically goes from green directly to brown. Because of this, my suspicion is that the pigments present in leaves which create the vibrant color we see are not present to a great enough extent to create the same phenomenon in a lawn. This, however is just a suspicion.

You might check for articles on research into grasses or contact your local county extension agency for a contact regarding lawn research. In the research you want to check if other pigments are present in the normal blade of grass.

Good luck!

Ric Rupnik

You could try covering it with burlap or shade, then the grass will yellow.

http://www.chm.bris.ac.uk/motm/chlorophyll/chlorophyll_h.htm

Anthony R. Brach, Ph.D.