NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Green Granny Smith's
Name: Kelly F.

Question:
My sixth grade teacher wants us to find an answer to his question about Granny Smith Apples. An answer he says he doesn't even now. I look in the library, read many books, and looked on the internet, and still came up empty. Can you help me? The question is: Why are Granny Smith apples green? I think it has to do with the flower and less direct sunlight, but I am not sure. Help me please!

The skins of various apple species have different colors from yellow to red to green. This is species dependent and doesn't have much to do with the growing conditions.

A variety of apples which has green apples. sorry, not related to flowers and amount of sunlight.

http://www.bestapples.com/apple-info/varieties/granny-smith.asp

Anthony R. Brach, Ph.D.