NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Magnolia Problems
Name: Florence B.

Question:
Our magnolia tree (unfortunately I do not know the name of the variety) blooms in the spring. It is now July and I noticed on many of the branches groups of small balls, anywhere from three to six (looking like marbles) enclosed in a netting. They seem to jut out from the stem. I wonder what these may be! Are they harmful to the tree? Are they buds? I also noticed a great deal of activity -- many, many bees and wasps flying around from one limb to another. It is a very beautiful tree and I would like to preserve it as best I can.

The fruit?

http://www.treehelp.com/trees/magnolia/magnolia-types-cucumber-tree.html

Anthony R. Brach, Ph.D.