NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Growing Albino Plants
Name: Jay J.

Question:
How can I grow a plant tat is an albino plant,or a plant without chlorophyll,I know its possible to grow them and you may know the answer.

A plant that photosynthesises, and thus is green, cannot survive under normal conditions without chlorophyll. Seeds sprouted in the absence of light will produce white shoots, but they will live only as long as the food stored in the seed lasts. If there is some way to "feed" such a plant and keep it growing I have not heard of it.

http://www.gi.alaska.edu/ScienceForum/ASF4/433.html

http://www.science.siu.edu/parasitic-plants/Chapter3.html

Anthony R. Brach, Ph.D.

There are seeds that produce albino plants. These are from plants that have a genetic mutation in their chlorophyll producing genes. You can order them from a biological supply company. There are also certain plant genes that are partially under environmental control and if you germinate the seeds in the dark and keep the plants in the dark, they will not "spend the energy" to produce chlorophyll in the absence of the sun's energy. They can't grow this way indefinitely however; they will "starve" without a way to produce food.

van hoeck