NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Plant Biology Topics
Name: Jonathan M.

Question:
The green flagellate Chlamydomonas Rheinhardi, widely studied,was discovered to produce an enzyme which creates ATP through the breakdown of stored compounds, producing a hydrogen gas waste in an oxygen deprived environment in the 1970's. Today, it has been found that the deprivation of sulfur shuts down photosystem I in the same way a lack of oxygen would, allowing for the activation of the enzyme pathway which milks the organism producing hydrogen. Multiple tanks would ideally work in cycles of photosynthetically building up and hydrogen extraction. With the advent of zeolite filters, carbon fiber ambient pressure storage tanks, commercially available fuel cells, and mass market fuel cell vehicles by 2004, what is the chance that i could build a photosynthetic system, powered by organics (grains, grass, compost, sea water) that could independently power my home and vehicle? I will be attending University of California @ Davis in Fall 2001 for a major in plant biology. Is this the correct major for my interest in organic farming of energy? And is there any possibility I could intern this summer in an institution devoted to this type of research?

Yes, a major in plant biology looks like a good beginning.

Anthony Brach