NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Damaged Cypress Tree
Name:  Tobie
Status:   other
Age:   30s
Date: Around 1999  

Question:
My neighbor planted a bald cypress tree about seven feet from my home, will the knees cause any damage under the slab of my home? Will cutting the knees that come up in my yard do any damage to the tree?

The following page indicates the general belief that the "knees" help provide air for the root system when the tree grows in water. With that as background, no it shouldn't damage your home.

http://www.baylink.org/wpc/cypress.html

Anthony R. Brach, Ph.D.