NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Schoolyard Plants
Name: Kathy
Date: Around 1999

Question:
Recently I have been given some plants for our "natural area" around my school but the donator was unfamiliar with the the genus and species of the particular plants. The only information given was the "common" name and that may have been altered through the handing-down of the name from one to another! I was wondering if you would be able to help me determine the true name of these plants. The common names as I was told are below, with their descriptions following:

The hummingbird vine - fine vine, serrorated leaves(reminds you of a maple leaf with deeper and more serations), the flower is a trumpet-shaped with a stamen in the center, (similar to a morning glory), deep rose in color, the throat is yellow. The petiole is long and slender.

The monkey tree - leaflets are opposite, 8 pairs of toothed leaflets and a final end leaf, when leaf is torn from the stem, white, milky fluid is secreted, central stem is coated with fine hair, it is very pale green appearance. I was told it produced a green pod which later develops into a red velvet pod.

Dear Kathy,

Sorry, but those "common names" might not be very "common"

possiblities:

?trumpet creeper = Campsis radicans
http://www.rubythroat.org/CreeperTrumpetMain.html

?monkey cigar = Catalpa speciosa
http://www.bbg.org/research/nymf/encyclopedia/big/cat0030.htm

Sincerely,
Anthony R. Brach, Ph.D.