NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Planting Magnolia Trees
Name: David
Date: Around 1999

Question
I am planning on planting a magnolia tree in my back yard. I live in El Paso Texas, dry and hot in the summer dry and cold in the winter. Will a magnolia tree survive a cold winter?

Magnolias survive winters in northern Illinois and eastern Nebraska, in my experience, but are vulnerable, it is really beyond their best range. Check with local extension agents or landscapers.

David,

I assume you refer to the southern magnolia.

I have planted one in my yard, which I believe is the northern part of its possible range. Our winters get down to -10 F at the lowest (this only occurs perhaps once or twice per decade.) I can say that I lost the entire canopy (but the tree was young so this was only the size of a basketball) twice due to ice storms and/or an extremely cold snap following growth in the spring.

You can consult a good dendrology text at your local or university library to see a depiction of the natural range for the Magnolia species you are considering. The text will also provide information on type of soil preferred and other cultural information.

Good luck!

Ric Rupnik