NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne European Tree Design
Name: K.
Date: Around 1999

Question
What is the common name and the scientific name of the trees in old European cities that are pruned so their branches grow horizontally, and the leaves are trimmed so the trees in full leaf are "box" shaped. I've seen them in Brussels, Paris, Strasbourg. They seem old and healthy. What is the process and the theory and why is this not more popular in the U.S.?

I believe the process of pruning a tree so that their branches grow horizontally is called Espalier. Espalier is a type of control for plant growth where the pruned so that they grow in flat plane spaces.

There are vairous species that this process can be applied to an here is a link that lists suggested species choices:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Espalier

You can also find more information about the process and theory of it at the site above as well.

I am not sure as to why it has not taken off in America, but it might have to do with the fact that there is more farm land space in America, as to Europe where space is limited.

PG