NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Curly hair
Name: shannon

Question:
1. How is curly hair inherited?
2. Which gene is dominant and recessive? The straight or curly hair gene?

I was always taught that curly hair is dominant over straight and that hair texture is incompletely dominant. So if one parent is curly/curly and the other is straight/straight their offspring would be straight/curly which phenotypically is a combination of the two or wavy. If both parents are wavy (ie. straight/curly) their children could be straight, curly or wavy. I'm not sure if this is the actual way hair texture is inherited or whether my professors just used it as an easy but exaggerated example.

Van Hoeck