Department of Energy Argonne National Laboratory Office of Science NEWTON's Homepage NEWTON's Homepage
NEWTON, Ask A Scientist!
NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Virus Study
Name: tabitha
Location: N/A
Country: N/A
Date: N/A

I would like to get into the study of viruses. What tips could you give me about how infection control and CDC work. I would really appreciate it.

The first thing you will have to do is go to college and major in biology/microbiology. There are few if any programs for just virology. You will have to take classes in biology, genetics, microbiology, ecology, and probably botany, zoology, chemistry and maybe physics. To work at the CDC you will probably have to go to graduate school. If you go to the CDC web page ( there is a page for personnel and they list internships. Good luck.

Van Hoeck

Click here to return to the Biology Archives

NEWTON is an electronic community for Science, Math, and Computer Science K-12 Educators, sponsored and operated by Argonne National Laboratory's Educational Programs, Andrew Skipor, Ph.D., Head of Educational Programs.

For assistance with NEWTON contact a System Operator (, or at Argonne's Educational Programs

Educational Programs
Building 360
9700 S. Cass Ave.
Argonne, Illinois
60439-4845, USA
Update: June 2012
Weclome To Newton

Argonne National Laboratory