NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Sarcinia aurantiaca
Name: angela

Question:
We are doing pet microbes in college and my pet is a bacteria. The name of it is Sarcinia aurantiaca. I was looking for any information about this bacteria. thank you

Dear Angela, Great idea to have a pet microbe and do research on it, but how on earth did you pick yours? I could only find the name in one Russian publication (my russian isn't too good) and the name Sarcina aurantiaca in a few publications from the 70's. The organism must have switched names since then, and I can't find it in my lists right now. What made yo choose this one? Do you know anything about it? Do you have the option to choose another? You might want to browse around in the Virtual Museum of Bacteria, www.bacteriamuseum.org Come back to me if you need to know more.

Trudy Wassenaar