NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Topsoil Development
Name: justin

Question:
how many years does it take to create 1 inch of topsoil

Many years ago when i was in school I learned that the average is 1,000 years to make each inch of topsoil. I have not heard anything different since, but I know that it will be very different in different climates and with different plant types. Soil should be created fastest in places like moist prairies, with lots of water and plant material, and slowest, if at all, in deserts.