NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Flying Squirrel Captive
Name: Tammy

Question:
hello there, was looking around the internet for ideas on what to feed my daughters' pet flying squirrel when I happened across your page. When I saw the name Roland F. Eisenbeis, Supt. of Conservation I decided to send an email because my name is also Eisenbeis. My question is what types of fruits and veggies should I feed him and is there anything he should not have?

Hello,

I have been taking care of flying squirrels for twenty years as part of our nature center display. We feed our flying squirrels Purina Mouse Chow with an occasional supplement of acorns, when they are available, and/or sunflower seeds. Sunflower seeds can be unhealthy if fed in too large a quantity. The high oil content can lead to hair loss. Also, changes in diet can lead to a loose droppings and a "messy" cage. Avoid feeding large quantities of any fresh foods and only add them a couple times a week, if you do.

Wayne Vanderploeg

Keep in mind tht flying squirrels are protected by Federal law and you must have a license to have one in captivity. If all else fails, contact a local vet. for guidance.

Hi Tammy:

First your question: we feed a captive flying squirrel at River Trail N.C. commercial mouse or rat chow and it seems to thrive, we've had it for some years now. Sometimes we toss in some acorns or other nuts for variety. I would not bother with soft fruits and veggies, I don't think it will eat them.

Roland Eisenbeis was my superviser for several years before he retired in the mid-1980's. He still lives in the suburbs of Chicago, and I correspond with him occasionally.

John Elliott