NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Shelless Eggs
Name: Marcia

Question:
I'd like to know why eggs soaked in vinegar become rubbery and bounce. I've done this experiment a number of times and can find numerous explanations for osmosis, but no answers about the egg itself.

Ther vinegar dissolces the egg shell. Egg shells are calcium carbonate; the acetic acid of the vinegar replaces the carbonate to make calcium acetate bicarbonate, which dissolves in water.

Marcia,

The hard shell made of calcium carbonate is dissolved away from the egg by the vinegar leaving the spongy layer of the inner shell and the inner and outer membrane of the egg. These three layers are very pliable and with the liquid pressure within the egg, gives the "rubbery" texture of the resulting egg.

http://www.britannica.com/bcom/eb/article/single_image/0,5716,750+asmbly%5Fi d,00.html