NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne G Zero and the Cell Cycle
Name: Frank

Question:
When a cell "decides" that it does not need to undergo mitosis, but instead, it will just remain an "adult" and accomplish all of its other functions until it "dies," does it then just lock in to its G-2 stage, or is the G-1 stage it's final adult resting place. My recent studies are confusing me about whether the cell is adult and has its correct number of chromosomes in G-1 or in G-2.

A cell does not enter the Gap 2 (G2) stage unless it is definitely going to complete mitosis and cytokinesis. The Synthesis (S) phase is a commitment to cell division. The stage you are referring to is called the G zero state and the cell does not enter the synthesis stage after completing the Gap 1 growth phase (G1), but enters the G0 to proceed with its function. Recently, it has been demonstrated that the G0 may re-enter the cell cycle and move into mitosis with the proper signals.

As far as I know, G zero is when a cell is in G1. A cell will not begin to replicate its DNA and go into the S phase unless the proper cell signals are in place, such as hormones. A cell spends most of its life in G1 until it is stimulated to divide. Therefore, the chromosomes are in the single-stranded form.

Van Hoeck