NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Tonsil Function
Name: Hannah

Question:
I read Jade's answer to the question, "what are tonsils used fof?". I thought they function as filters. How come it is okay to remove them? What are the advantages and disadvantages of having them removed?

Tonsils are really lymph nodes. Yes, they sort of filter the blood of bacteria etc. All of your blood supply passes through one lymph node or another. Unfortunately some of them get chronically infected. Yes, they are there for a reason and they play a necessary role. But when all else fails, they can be removed and you should be OK. Think of all of the kids in the 50's and 60's who got their tonsils removed just because everyone did! Most are no worse for the wear. However, removal now is a last resort.

Van Hoeck