NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Caterpillar in Winter
Name: Peggy

Question:
I live in northern New York on the shore of Lake Ontario. The temperature today is 20 degrees. Last night it was 10 below. I found a woolly bear caterpillar walking across the snow. My question is should I leave it there or bring it in for the rest of the winter? How do I take care of it if I bring it in? Why would it come out of hibernation on such a cold day? Thank you.

Why would it be out? Who knows, but it was, and was moving, so I suggest (belatedly of course since this was several days ago) leaving it alone. Small creatures have many remarkable characteristics that allow them to survive, most have been around a lot longer than humans and will probably still be around long after we are gone, and all the help they need from us is to be left alone.

p.s. I don't mean this to sound flip, as if there are no human-caused problems for small creatures - but those problems are a major subset of "not leaving them alone" - i.e. destroying their habitat, adding foreign things to their environment, etc.