NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Crow Flocks
Name: Shirley

Question:
What is the name for a flock of crows. I've heard recently that a bunch of crows is called a "murder (sp?}." Is that correct. If not, does anyone know what the correct name is? Also, it has occurred to me that someone might be playing a joke on me regarding this. Let me know if that is true. thank you.

I have seen lists of "quaint" names for groups of different types of animals and never paid much attention to them. However, from a naturalist's point of view, crows might often be in "mobs." Mobbing is a group behavior in which a number of crows gather together to harass a potential enemy, usually a hawk or owl. The word is reference to the behavior, and the group is then called a mob.