NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Germ-line Allele
Name: Rachel

Question:
Can you please explain a "germ-line allele" to me! It is very important for a research paper I am writing about breast cancer.

Mutations in genes are only able to be passed to the offspring if they are found in gametes (egg, sperm) mutations that occur in body cells other than gametes are usually not important because the cells can be replaced and they die eventually. The only way a characteristic can be passed to the offspring is through the eggs and sperm, so if there is a mutation in one these cells, the offspring can inherit the mutation. So a germ-line cell is a gamete. And a germ line allele is a version of the trait that is passed to the offspring through the germ line cell (or gamete).

Van Hoeck