NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Estrogen Mimiking
Name: Christina

Question:
I am currently taking abiology course in which I need to do a project about estrogen mimiking chemicals. Can you name some for me? Also, how does estrogen apply to reduced fertility? These answers would be greatly appreciated.

A woman's fertility cycle is tied to the amount of estrogen in her system. Its on a negative feedback system similar to what happens with your home's thermostat. When the house is warm, the heat stays off. As soon as the temperature drops below a certain point, the furnace turns on. The hormone LH, or lutenizing hormone is the one that causes ovulation each month. During the middle of a woman's menstrual cycle, the estrogen level drops suddenly. When this happens its a signal to the pituitary gland to release LH. Then a woman ovulates. IF the estrogen level is kept high all month, LH is never released and there is no ovulation. I'm not sure about estrogen mimics.

Van Hoeck