NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Bald Face Hornets
Name: Tracy

Question:
I Think I have a bald faced hornets nest in my back yard, it's about 12 ft high above ground and about the size of a basketball. My local mosquito comission said not to worry about it that if it's that big it's been there since before summer & after the first frost the Queen will leave and all the other hornets will die,and won't come back next year. A friend of mine said he has a nest where he works that is active all year. I have two small children & a dog who play in the yard where this nest is will this nest be OK until after the first frost or should I have it removed now?

My experience with bald-faced hornets (here in Illinois) is that they will leave when winter comes. Often birds or raccoons will tear the nest up when it becomes weakened or abandon. If they do not, you might want to take it down and hang it up as a conversation piece. Although you have not seen it up close yet, it is quite unique.

The chance of another nest appearing in the same location next year is slim.

As you might already know, these critters are rather mean and don't appreciate you being too near. Until the nest is abandon, I suggest giving them a wide birth.... just to be safe.

Presuming you live in the northern states where heavy freezes occur, your mos. comm. is correct, except that it may take a harder freeze than just "first frost" to kill the hornets. The nest is built from nothing each year, so it has indeed been growing there all summer, and as long as the hornets are that high they almost never bother anyone. No colonial wasps overwinter in the northern U.S., only honey bees overwinter in the hive.