NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Respiration in Plants
Name: Roberta

Question:
Do plants use oxygen for their respiration? I'm having a large debate with my son who is also a teacher. I won't tell you who thinks yes and who thinks no. Thank you very much!

There is NO argument. Plants have to have oxygen as well as animals to release energy from the sugar they make from photosynthesis. They make more than they use and hence, we are able to survive.

K. VanHoeck

Plants need oxygen just as much as animals to release sugar that they make. Plants obviously have to survive the winters in the temperate or colder climates and at night. Photosynthesis is a separate process enabling green plants to make sugars, but photosynthesis does not enable the plant to release energy.