NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Alligater Snapping Turtle
Name: N

Question:
I am a water plant superintendent in Okla.We recently had to drain a dam for the removal of silt.We discovered a 34 lb. alligater snapping turtle I would like to know more about the species.Also if they are indangered?

Alligator snappers are I believe still fairly common in the Mississippi and other large rivers in the M. basin, can get much larger than the one you discovered. A good book on reptiles of the region should tell you what you want to know.

ou can find a lot of (Scientific) information about alligator snapping turtles at
http://www.xmission.com/~gastown/herpmed/snapper.htm.
This mostly tells about how the population is declining, as a result of overfishing and habitat destruction. Apparently they aren't endangered yet, but they are moving in that direction.

More information about how to keep them, and pictures, can be found at http://www.turtleman.com/index.htm.

You can probably find a few more sites yourself, but these were the best I found. Richard E. Barrans Jr., Ph.D.