NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Garter Snake Pet
Name: Benjamin

Question:
I captured a garter snake and am currently keeping as a pet. It is brown with a red stripe on it's back and red dots on it belly. I would like to know if that color variation has a specific name. I'm feeding it western toads, and wondered what else it might eat. If it helps I caought it near Mt. Hood Oregon.

I don't have any books on western reptiles here (most of the people on this service are from the midwest) and am not familiar with western subspecies. In the midwest there are several subspecies of garter snakes with distinctive markings, check with a local nature center or park, or at the library for a western reptiles field guide.