NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Hide Preservation
Name: Brenda

Question:
We have a frozen bear hide in our freezer. I am wondereing if there is a way to preserve the hide at home instead of using a taxidermist? The Native Americans did. Was wondering what if any chemicals (natural) are using in preservation of hides. And if I would be able to purchase these at a local market?

I have known people who have tried this, almost always with poor success on the first couple of tries, it is difficult and time consuming to do it right. I do not know what specifically you need, I think there may be a couple processes, check the library.

John Elliott