NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Gentian Family
Name: Elizabeth

Question:
I recently found your web site and Nature Bulletin No. 536-A (9/21/74) on the Gentian family. I have been wondering about the strange flower I found on some land I recently purchased in Lewis County, TN. In April bright green leaves about 8-10 inches long appeared in a clump. Then in May a tall spike shot up and small yellowish flowers appeared at the end of it. I have been told that it might be a "columbo". From your bulletin I am guessing that it is -- the American Columbo. What is the botanical name for this plant? Is it as rare in Tennessee as in the Chicago area?

Try this site for a small picture. Local sources are almost always better for identification

http://sac.uky.edu/~mthom0/flora3.htm

John Elliott