NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne How do plants grow?
Name: Sally McCombs

Question:
A 4th grade class at our school is doing plant research and would like to know if plants grow from the top up or from the bottom up?
Thanks for your help!

Plants grow from the top up (or from the bottom down, in the case of root growth). Right at the tip, more cells form by division, and just behind that is an area where cells get bigger). More amazing than all of this is where your question comes from. I went to 4th grade there!!! Amazing, Just after the school was built, I think, maybe around 1959 to about early 1960's. Then I moved on to St. Pete High School, then my parents got jobs in Alabama, where I did the last year of High School. Then onto college in New England, graduate school in California, a research job in England, and now finally as a professor at the University of Washington in Seattle. Brings back memories...

--ProfBill