NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Plants - only from seeds?
Name: Gene N Moore

Question:
I'm in the 6th grade and I want to know if plants only grow from seeds?

Actually, plant cells and tissues have a remarkable ability to regenerate (produce) whole plants. For example, the eyes on potatoes are able to develop into a new plant. Another plant named Kalanchoe (not sure of the spelling), is able to produce new plants from the margins of leaves. Also, scientists are able to treat individual plant cells in such a way that all of these examples use asexual reproduction, and the new plants that are produced are genetically identical to the parent plant.

--Brian