NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Guillian Barret Syndrome
Name: William M Davis

Question:
Looking for information about Guillian Barret Syndrome, it attacks the nervous system. What about full recovery?? What about recurrence???

According to my sources, this disease can result in bilateral paralysis of head and face, but usually, patients recover in a period varying from several weeks to months. No reference is made to recurrence.

--Wordsworth

Guillain-Barret (with a French accent "egou" over the 'e' (no 't')) syndrome is very serious. It is "an acute, usually rapidly progressive form of polyneuropathy (disease of many nerves) characterized by muscular weakness and mild distal sensory loss that about half the time begins 5 to 3 weeks after a banal infectious disorder (i.e. a cold), surgery, or an immunization."
"Despite advances in respiratory care, 1.5 to 8% of patients die." And I have seen this happen.
"5 to 10% require intubation for respiratory failure." (The nerves to the diaphragm are affected so the pt can't breathe).

"About 10% of patients relapse after initial improvement and enter a chronic state."

Hope this helps. My source is the 15th edition Merck Manual pp 1446-7.
JOEL