NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Chromosome with the most information
Name: arwa tyebjee

Question:
What human chromosome contains the greatest amount of genetic info? I was thinking it may be chromosome 1 due to its length.

I don't think anyone knows the answer to this question, but the maps of the human genome, due out by the end of 1994, may give use some clues. It may depend on what you mean by "information" -- number of genes? identified protein-producers? and what about genetic code that seems meaningless to us now, but may someday be shown to have a purpose? Tough stuff, here. Thanks for a good question.

Ethan Allen