NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Safer sex
Name: Kate A Shuchter

Question:
I am a teacher of health and human sexuality. I am determined to give my students accurate information about disease and pregnancy prevention. I know there was a test done some time ago that compared brands of condoms for effectiveness. I have been unable to locate the results. I remember the poorest performer, but cannot find the best. Also, I would like some more information on what effects the efficacy of condoms made of the same material. Does anyone know the results or where I can find them?

The variation in the efficacy of condoms is much more strongly related to what type of material is being used and how it is being used: what brand of a given type of condom is probably irrelevant. It must be stressed that latex condoms give better protection from STDs than do natural condoms given that they are used properly and consistently. Latex condoms give better STD protection if used with lubricants (water based) because this reduces the risk of breakage. Following the package insert instructions and using them regularly will reduce the risk of STD transmission. You might try calling pharmacists for more info.

Mortis