NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Aging gene
Name: Linda S Martinez

Question:
Have the aging gene or genes been located on the human chromosomes, and, if yes, will removing that gene slow the aging process?

To my knowledge, no one has discovered THE aging gene in any eukaryotic organism. The closest thing I know of are some studies published in the journal Nature in which a gene in the nematode C. elegans was discovered which could extend the mean life span of the organism by about 20-fold when mutated. This is a pretty hot topic so try again in six months and there will probably be more information.

Rob

There's a survey article on aging in humans in the December 1992 issue of "Scientific American."

Christopher Grayce